Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summer Veggie Casserole

See that? That right there. That picture. That is just a big cake pan full of YUM I tell you what!

I bought some really nice looking zucchini and yellow squash today at the farmer's market and I wanted to do something different with them. I really do like sautéed zucchini and yellow squash and "buttered" noodles are great but I just wanted something different. So I was over at AllRecipes.com and I found this recipe. It looked good but I was concerned that there was no meat in it. Don't get me wrong "I" like a good meatless meal. It's the husband that has issues with meatless dinners. He claims that he needs more protein in his diet because his poop is green. TMI? So sorry. Well no I'm not. If I had to hear it so did you. You're welcome. :) Anyways... I made some adjustments to the original recipe and O.M.G. So yummy! Kylie just asked for seconds and I received much praise for being "the bestest Mommy ever" for making a "delicious yummy dinner". I'll take any praise really even though I know she's just buttering me up because she was in trouble earlier today for breaking the towel rod in the bathroom...

So the recipe Kristi, get to the recipe! Right, so here it is. ENJOY!!

Summer Veggie Casserole

1 zucchini, sliced thin
1 summer (yellow) squash, sliced thin
1/4 yellow onion, sliced thin
1 ripe tomato, sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
3/4 C mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 a 3 oz package of sliced pepperoni
garlic salt
pepper
onion powder
dried basil

Layer your veggies in a greased 8x8 pan. Between each veggie layer add a little bit of chopped garlic, some of your mozzarella cheese, and a sprinkling of your salt, pepper, onion powder and basil. I did zucchini, then tomato, then onion then summer squash.

Once you have added your last layer of veggies with the garlic, spices and cheese, top the casserole with your pepperoni and a little bit more cheese.

Bake your casserole, uncovered, in a 375 oven for 25 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!

I served this with apple slices and garlic toast.

**A couple quick notes. I baked this in my toaster oven. Also, next time I may add some baking mix between the layers too. I think the baking mix would make the casserole a little more filling and it would help to absorb all the yummy juices that form at the bottom of the pan. If I try that, I will post an update.

No comments: