Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Potty Training...Oy!

So the other day, Kaitlynn decides that she needs to start using the toilet, "like a big girl". This through no prompting from me. But the problem is, she doesn't know how to empty her bladder when shes on the potty so we end up with a 1 hour span of her going tinkle tinkle, getting off the potty, putting her diaper back on and then within 2 minutes saying she has to go again.

I would say about 80% she will actually pee in the potty. The rest of the time its for sitting and playing with things within reach.

I have absolutely no experience in potty training. Strange right? I have a 5 year old. You would think I would know how to potty train. But Kylie being as stubborn as her mama, didn't want to use the toilet. Period. She loved to pee in her pull up. I think it was because she knew that it irritated me. She did however use the toilet for "stinky" because one day she got sick and I, being tired of cleaning up the child and the clothes and the floor and her general area, plopped her on the toilet. From that day on, she did not poop in her pull up. But getting her to pee on the potty with regularity was like pulling teeth. So it was not ultimately me who got her to do it. It was my 13 (at the time) year old babysitter. Kylie really looked up to her and she told Kylie that she smelled bad and that she needed to be a big girl and pee on the potty. And in 5 minutes... Kylie was completely potty trained. See, stubborn! It's not that she couldn't do it, she just didn't want to.

So now I find myself in unfamiliar territory. Potty training. Well at lest I can say one thing, the sooner shes using the potty, the sooner I get to stop washing diapers.

No comments: