Friday, March 6, 2009

Yummy Turkey Patty Goodness

Right now, Jeff is trying to lose weight so he can get back into the military. This gives me a huge challenge. How do I prepare dinners that the entire family will eat that are healthy AND will help Jeff with his weight loss goal AND stick to my diminutive budget?

I have been surfing the web in search of recipes that will be healthy and fit into my budget. One of my favorite bloggers, Donna at Mom's Frugal, always incorporates these Turkey Patties into her weekly menu plan. I had some lean turkey in the fridge that I got at Walmart for $1.98/lb and I had all the other ingredients in either my pantry or fridge, so I figured I'd give them a whirl. I have to say, it was really yummy and easy and frugal and healthy. The turkey patties tasted like little meatloaves. The girls ate them up and Jeff did too. I served them with roasted potatoes and green beans. The girls also got some strawberries to go with their dinner. Organic strawberries are on sale this week at King Soopers for $1.97/lb.

Here is my version of her recipe. She just gives a list of ingredients and no real directions so I'm making it a little more user friendly. You're welcome. :)


1 lb lean ground turkey
1 egg
1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
3/4 cup of quick oats
1 1/2 t dijon mustard
1 t garlic pepper
1 t seasoned salt
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t thyme
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional, I used 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese about 1 T per patty)

Add the chopped onion, bell pepper and minced garlic to a pan with 1/2 T olive oil and saute until soft and onions are translucent. Set aside and let cool.

To a measuring bowl add the cooled vegetable mixture, ground turkey, egg, oats, mustard, and seasonings and mix until combined.

Heat 1 T olive oil in a pan over medium heat.

Using an ice cream scoop, measure out the turkey mixture, roll into balls and flatten into patties. Add to the preheated pan and cook about 5-7 minutes per side. Remove the cooked patties to a plate, add some shredded cheddar cheese to the top and tent with foil to allow the heat from the patties to melt the cheese.

Makes 8 patties.

I hope that you enjoy these as much as I did!

Sorry for the lack of pictures lately. My camera is out of batteries.

No comments: