Friday, April 17, 2009

I Covet Thy Bread

So my friend and I were talking the other day. I told her that I was baking homemade bread and first she told me that she kinda hated me and then she told me that she coveted my bread. I thought it was funny.

Well I thought I would share that "coveted" bread recipe. I have just started baking bread and I find it extremely satisfying. The aroma that permeates the air when I'm baking, the feel of the dough as I shape it into loaves. The rising... Yeah not to thrilled about that. And this is a recipe that I have been working on. I'm still perfecting it. I baked two more loaves today and we'll see how they turned out tomorrow.

I have to say this about homemade bread. My 5 year old who used to absolutely REFUSE to eat the crust off of her bread, will eat the crust on this and not only does she eat the crust but she eats it first because she says it's so delicious. My bread-phobic 2 year old. Yes, she's not a fan of store bought bread (I don't think she's my kid sometimes), begs for this bread. If I'm eating some and I don't share she folds her arms in disgust and stomps away. Yes, it's that good!! So why should I keep this recipe to myself. I need to share right. So here it is...ENJOY!

Kylie's Favorite Bread

To a bowl add:

1 pkt or 1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 C warm water (110-115F)

Let the yeast proof (get foamy) for 15 minutes while you prepare your other ingredients

Once the yeast is proofed add to the bowl of your mixer (I use a Kitchen Aid, I love it!):

1/2 C Sugar
1 tsp salt
1/3 C oil
1 C milk

mix to combine

Now add your flour:

2 C whole wheat
3 C all purpose

Mix to combine. Add more flour as needed (I do it a 1/4C at a time). The dough is stiff enough as soon as it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Once this happens turn your mixer to high and "knead" for about 30 seconds and then turn the dough out into a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. I like to stick it in the microwave. That way little hands don't want to touch it. It takes about 1 hour for it to double.

Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a floured surface and divide in half. Roll out the dough (or just flatten out into a rectangle with your hands) and then roll it up jelly roll style and pinch the ends in. Repeat for the other half and place into greased bread pans. Return to your warm spot and let rise a second time until double in bulk again. This will take about another 30-45 minutes.

Once it has risen a second time. Place in a 350 (375 if you're high altitude like me) oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when thumped. I find that 25 minutes is perfect.

After all that hard work, treat yourself to a warm slice smeared with butter. So good!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh yum! I can't wait to try it! And then yes, I will have coveted thy bread. Hee hee...