Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lending a Helping Hand or Not...

This is something I have been thinking and talking about (to Jeff) all day. When your husband puts in his ear buds and turns his head toward you and with a glazed over look says, "Ah huh." You know that you have probably talked a subject to death. But I think no matter how much I talk about it, obsess over it really, I think it will continue just to bug me.

So dear readers, I'm going to tell you a story. If you read my blog, even if I don't know you personally, please feel free to respond with your thoughts...

An old man sits on his motorized shopping cart, in a busy parking lot. He wheezes, trying to take deep breaths from his oxygen tank while struggling to put his groceries into his cherry red S.U.V. He's alone, and in obvious need of help. People walk by him, but he's not unnoticed. A young couple strolls by on their way into the store. Their eyes wander and rest on this man. They stare at him as they walk by and just as they pass him, their eyes shift focus. The doors to the store are calling. The scene repeats itself over and over. An old man struggles, people walk by noticing him but not caring. Until...

This was the scene at Walmart this morning. I noticed this man as I pulled into the parking lot. His car was parked in a handicapped stall by the main entrance. As I pulled in, I noticed that people were staring at him as they passed but at no time, did anyone ask him if he needed help. He was clearly struggling and in need of assistance. He was having a hard time pulling himself up to put his groceries into his car. I parked, got out of my car and went over to him and asked him if he needed help. He thankfully accepted. His name is Sam by the way.

I just can't understand how people can walk by someone who is in obvious need of help and not stop. It's self-centered and selfish. It's one of my biggest irks. But sadly it's the culture that we live in. If there is nothing in it for us, why do it? I just don't want to get involved. I'm in a rush. The excuses go on and on. I was in a rush this morning. Jeff was at home with Kaitlynn. He was tired and in a bad mood and had already yelled at me the day before for "taking too long". I didn't want to upset him but at the same time, I knew that helping someone was more important than irritating my husband.

But this is not the first time something like this happened. There was one occasion in particular that happened a couple of years ago that was much more dramatic.

Jeff and I were on our way home. We had been helping one of our friend's parent's unload their moving truck. As we were driving home, there was a white car rolling down a hill, backwards. The hill wasn't very steep and the car was rolling slowly. There were at least 5 cars in front of us that passed this car and did nothing. As we drove past, we noticed that there was no adult driver. There was a child about 7 years old in the drivers seat, a baby and a 2 or 3 year old. None were wearing seat belts or in car seats. I yelled at Jeff and told him to help them. He stopped the car, jumped out and ran over to the kids. I jumped into the drivers seat and drove the car into the gas station and waited for him. The kids were scared but eventually let Jeff into the car. He was able to unlock the steering wheel and pull the car into the gas station. Right as Jeff pulled the car into the gas station, a frantic mother sprinted over from the strip mall across the road. She was thankful and obviously shaken.

Can you imagine what would have happened if we had not stopped? These kids were rolling into on coming traffic. It just takes one person who is not paying attention and the outcome could have been much different. But what about the other cars who passed this trio of distressed kids? I don't know. Maybe they just didn't want to get involved, after all there was nothing in it for them.

Tomorrow is Earth Day. So how about a challenge. Instead of thinking about going green and all the things you can do to save this planet, why not focus on a smaller picture. Notice someone and care. Help someone with their groceries. Pay for the lunch of the person behind you in the drive-thru. Practice some kind of random act of kindness. Because if we don't take care of the people of this planet, why would care about trying to save it.

Okay so I'm feeling a lot preachy tonight. But this is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I believe it's fundamental to help those in need in whatever way we can. I believe that it's part of the reason why we are put on this earth, to take care of each other and respect each other.

Rant over.

2 comments:

Amy said...

We used to live in Montana in a apt. complex with filled with college kids, wrestlers and football players. I was about 7 1/2 months pregnant and realize that my car battery is dead. Rudi is not home. Where the car was currently parked, there were no spaces available for Rudi to jump it when he got home, so I decided to push it back into a different parking spot. And you never notice a little hill until you try to push a car over it. I had a hard time about half-way through pushing the car all by myself. College boys kept arriving driving around me and going into their apartments. Not a single offer of help. I was hurt, really. I mean, 5'2" woman, obviously very pregnant. Can't get a little help?

We definitely need to help people more. I think we also need to accept help more. And teach our kids to help people more.

Kristi said...

That's just shameful!

Teaching our kids about helping others is definitely something I am trying to do with Kylie and Kaitlynn. I told Kylie the story about what happened yesterday and I told her that if she saw someone that needed help that she should stop and help them. Then she told me that she helped a little boy at school who bumped his head. So at least she's learning.

If I was the mother of one of those college boys, I would slap them upside the head. But that's just me.