Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Moral Dilemma

Okay so I have a moral dilemma.

There is a group on Facebook that is entitled "Soldiers Are Not Heroes". And there is a group on Facebook that is called "Petition to get the group 'Soldiers are not heroes' off Facebook!"

Now I'm usually of feel that everyone has a right to their own opinions. But this group has some really offensive things to say.

They want to schedule a "peaceful" protest by having each member create their own t-shirts with some sort of slogan. Here are two recommended by the group:

"Proud not to murder civilians for a living"
"Everyone knows soldiers are best covered in egg"

Now this group also says that, "THIS GROUP DOES NOT CONDONE VIOLENCE OF ANY KIND. THIS WILL BE A PEACEFUL PROTEST AGAINST TAX-FUNDED HIRED KILLERS."

But when you have a slogan on your shirt, that says a soldier is best covered in egg, what kind of response are you expecting? If you are calling soldiers tax-funded hired killers, what kind of people are you attracting? Are you going to attract the type of person who wants to have a peaceful protest or are you going to attract the type of person who is going to build an IED and put it on the side of the road?

Maybe I'm just too sensitive on this topic. I'm a former-soon-to-be-again military wife. I have been through 3 deployments. I have seen what war and loss does to families and soldiers, I have been there first hand. Never in my wildest thoughts would I ever consider a soldier of any kind a tax-funded hired killer.

My husband worked in a Medevac unit. He NEVER took a life. He helped to save lives. And not just the lives of the soldiers out there. The lives of insurgents as well. There was one instance during our second deployment where our unit Medevaced an insurgent who was responsible for the IED that killed 3 Marines. So yes, I am a little sensitive when it comes to calling a soldier a tax-funded hired killer.

So this is my dilemma. Do I join the petition group that is trying to get this wholly offensive to me group kicked off of Facebook. Or do I respect another individuals right to an opinion no matter how offensive it is, or should I just shut up?

No comments: