Friday, November 14, 2008

The Gift of Giving (Bible Quote of the Day)

Okay so I realize that its late in the day to have a quote for today. I am also VERY tired, it's been a long day so please excuse me if I ramble and make no sense. :)

...so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

Romans 12:5-8

Basically what this says to me is that we all need to take care of each other. But not just take care of each other, but take care of each other according to our spiritual gifts.

I think what frustrates me the most about finances is that I do believe I have the gift of serving. I have a servants heart, meaning I like to help people. I get so frustrated because my desire is to help financially for some. I see such a need in some people that I want to reach out and make it all better. But, I cant help financially.

So my last passage got me thinking. How can I still serve without financial giving? Well the first way I am serving is through my Military Blog. I am trying to create a resource for people to go to. I was a spouse of a deployed solider. I know how hard it can be. I have a heart for our military because I was in that situation. People can empathize but until you are a military wife you never really, truly understand.

The second way I have decided that I am going to serve is by making hats for the Thanksgiving feast. Well what do hats have to do with a Thanksgiving meal? Well my church is also giving out winter coats and hats to those who need them. I know for sure that I cannot go out and buy coats but I have a lot of yarn in the basement and a lot of scrap fleece just sitting around.

I'm also making pies for the Thanksgiving feast. That's definitely something I can do.

I guess the bottom line is, my last post was so desperate that it got me thinking. How can I truly give up my situation to God? Well the answer is, by not focusing on my situation. By focusing on others. Essentially not putting enough importance on what is going on with me but to put all the energy I would spend worrying on giving to people who have far less than I do.

We did do our shoe box after all. I dipped into our Christmas fund for it. I figure its worth it. It gets Kylie thinking about ways she can help others. She is so "me" centered. And well, shes 4. But I want to get her out of that mindset. I want to get her to stop focusing on what she wants (not needs) and to start realizing that she has a lot compared to many other people.

That's something I have to remember too. Yes, we may be financially strapped right now but we have a roof over our heads, we have nice clothes to wear, we have dirty dishes piled in the sink because we have food to eat. So yes the finances suck, but it could be worse. I am very blessed to have what I have. And I think focusing my efforts on what I can do to help others and not what I cant do or my current situation, I think that's the way I can truly give it all to him and completely surrender my circumstances. Give up control, I guess is another way to put it.

So again, preaching mostly to myself here.

No comments: